The Oak Lawn Park District is 75 years old!
On November 28, 1944, voters approved the formation of an Oak Lawn Park District, which was sponsored by the Oak Lawn Lions Club and School District 123's PTA. This new park district helped mold key contributions to postwar Oak Lawn.
The first park board was elected with one member from each of the organizations that sponsored its formation. Our first board members were: Roland J. Beckley, Harvey Bergeson, Lucille C. Gaddis, John C. Utz and Albert Ver Schave. These founders had a vision to build facilities and also institute programs to meet the recreational needs of the citizens of Oak Lawn and the surrounding communities.
Over the years various facilities have been built and numerous programs established to serve the recreation and leisure needs of the community. Parkland and open space have been expanded, maintained and improved. Planning has and will continue to play an important part in the operation of the Park District.