Starting Monday, June 14th, Central and Centennial Pools will be moving into Phase 5!
What is changing:
- We are now able to operate at our maximum facility capacities.
- Open swim will no longer be offered in 2 hour reservation blocks. Instead, open swim hours are extended and no reservation is required. Patrons can check in at any time during open swim hours. Please see the updated Pool Calendars attached.
- Reservations are no longer needed or accepted due to the full operating capacities at each pool.
- Anyone who paid for an online reservation for the week ahead will be contacted and refunded in full. If you receive any calls regarding a refund for a reservation, please direct them to me at the ice arena. 708.857.5173 or extension 2204.
- Daily fees are being adjusted due to the full open swim schedule. Exit and re-entry are not permitted.
- Members will now be able to check in for their pool time using their existing or newly issued key fobs. New key fobs will be issued starting Monday when members arrive for open swim. For any new memberships completed by your facilities, please link a key fob to their households.
- Diving boards and slides will be open as long as staffing and facility maintenance can accommodate. The drop slide at Centennial Pool will be closed until maintenance repairs are finished.
What is not changing:
- Centennial Splash Pad will remain open and free to the public for the rest of the summer unless there is a private rental.
- Mask mandates are still in effect per IDPH and CDC recommendations.
Centennial Aquatic Center
Located at 94th & Nashville, the Centennial Aquatic Center is a great place to cool off in the summer! Features include a main pool ranging from 3-12feet deep, splash pad, children's wading pool with a maximum depth of 2 feet, diving board, 42” open flume water slide, 32” drop slide, sand volleyball court and vending area. Open-swim sessions, lap swim and party rentals are available at this location.
Click Here for Centennial Pool Calendar
Near the Ice Arena and Administrative Center, Central Pool located at 9400 S. Kenton Ave. . The pool features a main pool ranging from 3-10 feet, diving board, children's wading pool with a maximum depth of 2ft 8in and vending area. Swim lessons, water aerobics, open-swim sessions, lap swim and party rentals are available at this location.
Click Here for Central Pool Calendar
General Pool Information
Click Here for Patron Open Swim Instructions
Click Here for Patron Lap Swim Instructions
The Oak Lawn Park District Offers a variety of swim lessons for all ages and abilities. All swim lessons follow the American Red Cross guidelines and are 50 minutes in length. To view all of our swim lesson offerings, please visit http://bit.ly/OLPDSwimLessons
- Splish Splash (Parent & Child ages 6 months-4)
Parents and children will work together on basic water skills. Parents will be taught different holding techniques while their child explores the water using basic arm and leg movements. Children will become familiar with submerging face into water, wearing a lifejacket, and entering and exiting the pool safely. The goal of this class is not designed to teach children to be able to survive in water alone; all skills are performed with support. Classes will mainly consist of singing songs and playing games to get your tot adjusted to the water.
Participants must be able to stand on their own to enroll. Participants will explore and learn basic water skills such as blowing bubbles, submerging face, and retrieving objects submerged in shallow water. They will learn to perform basic arm and leg movements independently, swim and float with support, become comfortable wearing a lifejacket, and learn to enter and exit the pools safety. The goal of this class is not designed to teach children to be able to survive in water alone; most skills are performed with support of the instructor. Participant will sing songs and play games to become more comfortable in the water.
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills (ages 5 & up)
Participants of this class will learn emerging stroke skills with support. They will strengthen arm and leg movements on their front and back, and learn to combine them with support. They will perform front and back floats and glides with support. Participants will learn to enter and exit the water inde-pendently, swim with a lifejacket, and retrieve a submerged object in shallow water.
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills (ages 5 & up)
Prerequisite: Swim Level 1
Participants must be able to submerge face to enroll. Participants will learn the basic techniques of front and back crawl. They will begin to swim unassisted in 3.5 feet water. Participant will learn to independently float and glide on their front and back, swim with a lifejacket, and retrieve a submerged object. They will learn to tread water and begin to explore deep water with support.
- Level 3: Stroke Development
Prerequisite: Swim Level 2
Participants must be able to submerge entire head to enroll. Participants will begin to perfect their front and back crawl, and will learn correct rotary breathing for front crawl. They will begin to explore other strokes, such as elementary backstroke, breaststroke, and sidestroke. They will develop deep water skills such as treading and survival floating. Diving will be introduced in this level from a sitting and kneeling position.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement
Prerequisite: Swim Level 3
Participants must be able to swim independently and be comfortable in deep water to enroll. This class is mostly taught in the diving well. Partici-pants will learn to perform open turns for front and back crawl for distance swimming, and will learn combined breaststroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, and butterfly. They will perfect rotary breathing for front crawl. They will learn to tread in deep water and dive from a standing position.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement
Prerequisite: Swim Level 4
Participants must be able to swim 25 yards (one pool length) of front and back crawl to enroll. Participants will begin to learn swim-team skills such as shallow dives and flip turns for front and back crawl. Strokes will be perfected in this class. Participants will learn to swim front and back stroke for 50 yards using correct turns. They will learn surface dives in deep, water, how to swim/float in deep water for 2 minutes, and will be exposed to basic lifeguarding skills.
- Swim Level 6 Swimming and Skill Proficiency (Age: 8 & up)
Prerequisite: Swim Level 5
Participants of this class will refine strokes to swim with more ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over greater distances. Level 6 also introduces other aquatic activities and offers three options: Personal Water Safety, Fundamentals of Diving and Fitness Swimmer. These options focus on preparing participants for more advanced aquatics activities, such as competitive swimming and diving.
- Springboard Diving (Age: 8 & up)
These lessons are an introduction to diving and are recommended for those participants who are enrolled in Advanced Level classes and are looking for skills beyond the Advanced Level. Classes are con-ducted in the deep end of the pool. Participants must have passed Level 3 and must be able to swim the length of the pool.
- Adult Swim Lessons (Age: 14 & up)
It's never too late to enjoy the water, learn to swim or to improve your strokes. These classes will help those who lack comfort and technique. Discover how rewarding swimming can be!
-Level I -This very beginner class will help adults become comfort-able in the water by learning proper entry into the water, proper exit from the water, bobbing, and basic floats, kicks, and arm circles.
-Level II - This class is for participants who are comfortable in the water and are looking to practice and perfect stroke techniques.
- Water Aerobics (Age: 16 & up)
Try this invigorating total body workout to improve flexibility while firming and toning the body! Class will provide a work-out for all levels of participation. Instructor will assist you in adapting movements to your level of ability. Participants should consult with their physician before participating. All sections are 8 classes, except Saturdays, which are 6 sections
Location: Central Pool
- Total Aqua Fitness (Age: 16 & up)
The complete full body workout! Get a cardio workout without all the pounding on the joints. Work your core, upper and lower body in this challenging class. No swimming experience necessary.
Location: Central Pool
Click Here for Rental Brochure
Central Pool Gallery
Near the Ice Arena and Administrative Center, Central Park—located at 9400 S. Kenton Ave.—offers a soccer field and very popular swimming pool.
Centennial Aquatic Center
Features: 42” open flume water slide, 32” drop slide, diving board, wading pool, splash pad, sand volleyball court